Why dress shopping sucks and how I made it better!

Dress shopping sucks large... primarily bridesmaid dress shopping. Its right up there with bathing suit shopping! Im in a wedding in may and so naturally the bride wants us to choose our dress style with enough time to get them altered and such so she graciously organized last night so 2 of her bridesmaids could go try on dresses....

Im not a dress girl... I realize I mention countless times in my blog that I am a girly girl but believe it or not, not all girly girls love wearing dresses. I dont think they look nice on me, I always have a hard time finding dresses that can cover the "girls" enough so that I dont look like a hooker or accidently flash the crowd and dresses require me to shave more then I already do and thats a pain in the butt.... tmi?

Ive complied a list of reasons why I hate dress (especially bridesmaids dress) shopping...

- pushy sales ladies who are almost always mid 50's with glasses that sit on the tip of their noses who rush you in and out of every dress just so they can get to their next appointment.
- the fugly dress colors... why oh why do bridesmaids sample dresses come in puke green or sorbet orange.... I mean wouldn't more neutral colors help them sell more dresses?
- the fact that all the sample dresses are either too big or too small... I mean I know they cant have every style in every size but how do you expect me to know if I would look good in a dress that I cant even get over my hips? and of course the one you LOVE doesnt fit!
-the fact that I already know going in that ill be forking over big bucks for a dress I will most likely never ever wear again.. Yeah ive seen 27 dresses!
-the fact that we have to order the dresses 6 months before the wedding... what if my Turbo Jam workout somehow makes me the size of kate moss by then?

Anyway you get the point.... I hate dress shopping because it almost always makes me feel like crap after BUT I sucked it up and put a smile on because I love my girl and she wants us all in Alfred Angelo dresses next May!

Some good did come out of the evening though.. I ended up finding 2 pairs of boots I'll really need come January when Im back at school downtown trekking through the snow. I got 2 pairs for $90!!! Ive been searching for months for reasonably priced boots that I actually liked and I found 2 for an amazing price...even if they only last through this winter.


Stay Pretty ;)

Labels: , ,

20 COMMENTS:

Anonymous said...

Great comic - it's so true! I'm sorry you're having a hard time finding a dress :(

Anonymous said...

Boots are made for walking =D! I love your boots!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad your experience ended up being so positive!!! Hopefully the "bride" doesn't make you wear a hideous colour so that you think to wear it for Halloween :)

Mandy said...

Definitely not a fan of bridesmaid dress shopping.

Love those boots!

SS+1 said...

hahaha. I'm in my friend's wedding next summer, and she asked me to go bridesmaid dress shopping with her. I willingly agreed, and when we got to the mall and the lady asked me what size I wore, I froze....I had forgotten I WAS THE ONE WHO HAD TO TRY ON THE DRESSES. Whoopies! Needless to say, I grinned and beared it. Aside from my legs that hadn't been shaved in two months, and the fact that I'm still about 30lbs heavier than I intend on being come wedding time, it wasn't half bad :)

B said...

I LOVE dress shopping, but I can't imagine enjoying the same concept for bridesmaid purposes. bleh. It's too much of a chore then.

Angela @ Nine More Months said...

Those boots are way cute. Where did you get them?!

Far said...

Dee- I may have found some that may work last night finally!

Zara- They are made for walking.. thanks i heart them too

AC- yes lets hope she sticks with her wonderful Mocha color choice ;)

Mandy- Glad you feel my pain!

SS1- I SO hear you on this... its a bit strange but i guess its their job and all...

Deutlich- yeah its not fun sifting through tons of random dresses half of which feel and look so nasty!

itsahumanzoo- I got them at this ghetto mall... I love ghetto malls they always have these random cheap shoe places hehe

S. said...

I love dresses but Bridesmaid dresses are in a catagory of their own!

What do you do with them after the wedding?! There are NO OCCASIONS to wear them to...NONE.

I feel your pain.

Cute boots! =)

KA said...

Those boots look warm, but oh man, they look like ball kickers.

Melly Mel said...

I feel ya! I was in a wedding once and when we got the dresses 6 months later mine was too tight so I had to wear spanx the whole night I couldn't even move.

Bon Don said...

Ooooo I love's the boots with the straps! and I don't love dress shopping for weddings, the last wedding I was in I looked like a wanna be drag queen!

Anonymous said...

I don't know why everyone is so down on looking like a hooker.

They provide a valuable service!

Pam said...

I hate bridesmaid dress shopping. I even hated it when I got married. I did it online before having my friend go with me to acutally see some of them in person.

I still have 2 dresses from previous weddings. And I DID wear it at a mardi gras ball. I am determind to get my money's worth! LOL.

Katie Says So said...

Yuck! I hate bridesmaid dress shopping too! I have to go get measured tomorrow for one that I am in this summer. Not excited about it....

Cute boots though! ;)

ReRe said...

i'm with you! and why do the old ladies at the bridal stores think they can just touch you and barge in on you when your girls are hanging out. i lost all sense of privacy when i was wedding dress shopping b/c after a week i just realized that old lady sally loved checking on me when i didn't have a bra on. aaarrrgghhh

The Rambling Diva said...

I HATE bridesmaid dresses too. I have way too many taking up room in my tiny closet. I love your boots though!

Felicia|DaLipstickBandit said...

love the boots....

Anonymous said...

Love your boots! I have some similar to the pair on the left, and they are so comfy!

Anonymous said...

Interesting post.!! Sometimes dress shopping can be harder. Those boots are really much stylish.


Email Me :)

Like my blog? Wanna say hi or tell me I suck? Want my advice cuz you think im qualified to give it? Then email me cuz I'd love to hear from you! Everydaysoap@gmail.com

Followers

Get your own free Blogoversary button!

About Me

My photo
The in's and out's of my sometimes crazy, almost always amusing life.... A little beauty, a little gossip, a little humor... a little of just about everything ;)

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Awards ;)

    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    

    Im a member of...