Things overheard at the grocery store...

Heres the set up..
Mother, 3 yr old little girl, father...
little girl holding grocery basket in hand... (not swinging it around just holding it)
mother trying to take basket away from girl... father just standing there looking embarrassed...
little girl whines "nooooo"...
mother tries to convince her to give the basket to dad...
little girl refuses...
mother yells "HUNY THAT'S A MANS JOB!!!"....

WTF? Since when is carrying a small little grocery basket or anything for that matter a mans job?? and why on earth would you teach your 3yr old about "man" jobs and "woman" jobs?? are we in 1930 or 2008?

I just stopped dead in my tracks and stared at this woman... I just couldn't believe that this actually came out of her mouth to a 3yr old.. I don't know maybe it shouldn't have made me stop and stare, maybe it shouldn't have made me think about it on the car ride home... but it did!

When and if I ever have children I would want them to know that they could do anything despite age, race, gender etc... I wouldn't start their life by planting ideas of limitations in their head.. but maybe that's just me..

grrr... ok end rant...

Stay Pretty ;)

19 COMMENTS:

Endless Randomness said...

What a terrible way to bring up a child..by feeding crazy thoughts in her head. This way she will grow up to believe she can't do certain things and she must behave a certain way!!

Totally agree with you.. I wouldn't want any child of mine to grow up with such warped notions either.

Mich said...

my jaw dropped when i read that! what a horrible woman to tach her daughter that!

KA said...

It was a very different generation. I think that with mass media and her play mates in school she's likely to learn better on her own though.

KA said...

PS mind if I use this post as a jumping point for my own post?

Angela @ Nine More Months said...

That is a horrible thing to say to a little girl. I don't have a girl, but if I did I would want her to know that she could do anything she wanted, regardless of whose "job" it might be. I try to instill the same in my son, but I think he thinks he can do anything anyway!

Far said...

@toughgirl - nope i dont mind at all :)

Bon Don said...

Boo grocery store mom!

Anonymous said...

i wonder if she meant to say "honey, sit in the basket and have daddy carry you around"

that's obviously not a good thing to say to someone so young but i bet the mother was just saying anything to get the basket away from her - which is even worse!

Katie Says So said...

Some people.....lol....NOTHING is a "mans job!"

Unknown said...

OMG! when i read to "it's man's job", i almost spit the water out of my mouth. Agree with you. it's a ridiculous way to teach a kid. Women can do anything if they want to. plus it was JUST a grocery basket.

Far said...

Good im glad im not alone in my disgust!

Mandy said...

WTF? Really...holding a basket is a man's job? What a nutjob. I agree with you, I would not teach my child the difference between a man's job and a woman's job. I have many friends who dad cooks, clean, does the laundry and their mom does the lawn work, fixes things, etc. This is the 21st century. LOL.

So@24 said...

Fools.

Agent Elle said...

WTF? That's absolutely atrocious. Kids take notice of that kind of thing. I dread to think how she's going to grow up when her mother is bringing her up with that attitude.

Peter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Well that's just crazy.

Everyone knows that shopping is a woman's job. Sheeesh.





(Far, tell them I'm kidding.)

Kendall said...

That is a horrible thing to teach your child. I can remember my own mom saying things like that to me though.

Laura said...

My g-d really? This sounds like something that my 90 year old grandfather would say. Great post!

Little Fish said...

So this girl will grow up to think that she is a helpless little flower who needs a big, strong man to take care of her. Lovely lesson to teach your daughter Gracery Store Lady... ugh!!


Email Me :)

Like my blog? Wanna say hi or tell me I suck? Want my advice cuz you think im qualified to give it? Then email me cuz I'd love to hear from you! Everydaysoap@gmail.com

Followers

Get your own free Blogoversary button!

About Me

My photo
The in's and out's of my sometimes crazy, almost always amusing life.... A little beauty, a little gossip, a little humor... a little of just about everything ;)

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Awards ;)

    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    

    Im a member of...