She calls herself a makeup artist?!

One of my best friends is getting married this weekend and has had a hell of a time finding a makeup artist.... I know what you are all thinking why didn't she ask you?! Well she did ask me to do her makeup for Friday night which is the "Henna" party night (generally a bigger deal than the reception in her culture) but she doesn't want me running around and busy on the day of the reception which I understand since ill have lots to do...

Anyway she has been to trials with 2 different makeup artists and hasn't liked anything.. She went to visit #3 last night. She asked me to come with so I did as a friend not a makeup artist. I actually really liked this artist and she seemed to know what she was doing as she had been in the industry for 7 years and even works as an on call artist at MAC.

The trial was done in the washroom of a house with all her products spread out along the counter, which I suppose isn't the end of the world but what made me kinda wonder about her methods was when I looked down at her brush belt and noticed that some of the brushes weren't cleaned! Some of her MAC white haired brushes were multicolored and they could have been stained but I noticed shine from shadows on them too...

This is a HUGE industry standard NO NO! If its one thing that was stressed to us over and over its sanitation. I had to bite my tongue not to say anything since I only noticed half way through the application... I tried to convince myself that she had cleaned them and that they were just stained or that she wasn't going to use that particular brush on my girl... So I sat there in silence....

Until..... She got to the mascara part. She pulls out this tube of mascara and opened it up.. I knew it wasn't new because I could see the top had black all over it and any girl knows when you open a new tube its clean... This wasn't the bad part... I just about gaged when she used the brush from the used mascara tube on my friends eyes and then put it back in the tube and used it on the other eye! Mascara carries the MOST bacteria of all makeup and to keep it sanitary you NEVER use the wand that comes with it on your clients. If she used it on my friend shes obviously done it before, if she used it on someone with an eye infection guess what my friend now has it!

The makeup was amazing and so my friend booked her but as soon as we got in the car I told her what I observed and she said she was wondering why she did that too... I guess shes going to bring her own mascara the day of the wedding and also request she clean the brushes but it kinda makes me wonder what other sanitation issues she has!

Ladies if a makeup artist EVER uses a used tube of mascara on you make sure she uses disposable wands and never ever puts that wand back in the tube after shes used it. The last thing you want is someone else's pink eye!!!!

Anyway today I have to list a bunch of stuff on CL to sell so I can raise funds for my studio and make space in that room of mine, also I should finally get around to printing business cards since ppl have started asking....
I also have a big bruise on my bumbum :( I fell this morning don't ask...


Stay Pretty ;)

Labels: ,

9 COMMENTS:

PorkStar said...

eww that's gross. Eventhough I had a hard time following what each item was, the only thing i know what means is the brush, but... complicated and... in all, unsanitary....

Good job on telling your friend about that too, it makes people wonder what other unsanitary issues that lady maybe sperading around

Anonymous said...

I've learned so much. (About make-up sanitation issues, NOT your bumbum.)

Lis said...

Ewww I mean I'm just your normal Sephora/MAC addict and I know not to do that!! ICK!! Good luck with everything!!

And sorry about your bruise. I won't even ask..I fell UP the stairs Monday night...yea.

:) Have a great Wednesday!!

Pam said...

WOW! Well, I will make sure I look out for all of those signs when I get my makeup done again. Thanks!

Mich said...

oh no!! not another bruise!!.... LOL what am i going to do with you, you clumsy thing?


and EWWWWWWWWW that masacara thing is NASTY! i wont even let my friends use my mascara. i was taught all that in Cosmotology too. so many germs. gross gross gross!!

atleast she found an artist who can do make up the way she wants it though.

and whats CL?

Far said...

LOL Mich youre so cute! I dunno im like the queen of bruises i know!!

CL = craigslist hehe

KA said...

Hmm, maybe she was trying to save and pinch pennies. Either way, the way you put it, I guess what that artist did was heinous!!! I had never thought of all those sanitation issues before. Uhmm. Ew.

Mich said...

ahhhh

CL = craigslist.... i so should have known that! LOL

TS said...

I used to do my friends makeup sometimes, and a few times they wanted to try to do mine. I'd freak out if they tried to use their own mascara or unwashed tools. Yuck.


Email Me :)

Like my blog? Wanna say hi or tell me I suck? Want my advice cuz you think im qualified to give it? Then email me cuz I'd love to hear from you! Everydaysoap@gmail.com

Followers

Get your own free Blogoversary button!

About Me

My photo
The in's and out's of my sometimes crazy, almost always amusing life.... A little beauty, a little gossip, a little humor... a little of just about everything ;)

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Awards ;)

    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    

    Im a member of...